The December 2019 General Election came to an extraordinary culmination today as the British People voted unequivocally for Boris Johnson, a Conservative Government and to “Get Brexit Done”!
Across Cheshire East, our five constituencies returned five strong Conservative MPs including Dr Kieran Mullan who took back Crewe & Nantwich from Labour’s Laura Smith with a majority of 8,000!
Fiona Bruce retained Congleton, Esther NcVey retained Tatton, David Rutley retained Macclesfield and in Eddisbury (the constituency that straddles both Cheshire East and Cheshire West & Chester Local Authority areas), Antoinnette Sandbach, former Conservative MP who stood on a Liberal Democrat ticket at this election was ousted by former Crewe & Nantwich MP Edward Timpson.
Cheshire East Councillors played a pivotal role with their candidates, associations and volunteers in delivering leaflets, canvassing, holding street stalls, knock and drop activities and getting out the vote. Weeks of work culminated in teams attending the two ‘Count Venues’ in Crewe and Macclesfield (with the Eddisbury Count taking place in Winsford).
The Count results are as follows:
Crewe and Nantwich
- Dr Kieran Mullan polled 28,704 votes.
- Mrs Smith polled 20,196 votes.
- The Green Party's Te Ata Browne poll 975 votes;
- The Libertarian Andrew Kinsman poll 149 votes;
- Liberal Democrat Matthew Theobald poll 2,618 votes;
- The Brexit Party's Matt Wood poll 1,390 votes.
The turnout was 80,321 (67.42%)
- Fiona Bruce (C) 33,747 (58.96%, +2.36%)
- Jo Dale (Lab) 15,186 (26.53%, -7.63%)
- Paul Duffy (LD) 6,026 (10.53%, +5.37%)
- Richard McCarthy (Green) 1,616 (2.82%, +1.05%)
- Jane Smith (AWP) 658 (1.15%)
- Esther McVey (C) 28,277 (57.75%, -0.82%)
- James Weinberg (Lab) 10,890 (22.24%, -6.22%)
- Jonathan Smith (LD) 7,712 (15.75%, +6.73%)
- Nigel Hennerley (Green) 2,088 (4.26%, +2.18%)
- David Rutley (C) 28,292 (52.52%, -0.13%)
- Neil Puttick (Lab) 17,581 (32.64%, -4.17%)
- Neil Christian (LD) 5,684 (10.55%, +4.38%)
- James Booth (Green) 2,310 (4.29%, +2.05%)
- Mr Edward Timpson received 30,095 of votes.
- Labour candidate Terry Savage who received 11,652 votes.
- Former MP Antoinette Sandbach received 9,582 votes.
- Louise Jewkes, standing for Green Party, received 1,191 votes.
- UKIP candidate Andrea Allen received 451 votes.